A quick one for church startups and other newbies. The most useful and versatile item that I have found for church staging over the years is aluminum truss. It’s not what I would call inexpensive, but its usefulness makes it a must-have item. Here’s why:
1. It can be hung [vertically, horizontally or at an angle];
2. It can be wrapped with fabric [and potentially lit from within];
3. It can be purchased in black [as well as the standard silver] to help it to blend into more traditional environments and applications;
4. It can be purchased in curved form [or “S” shapes or other varients];
5. It can hold lighting, audio gear – even some projectors;
6. It can provide a framework for staging;
7. It can BE staging;
8. It can provide a framework for banners or soft goods;
9. Etc, etc, etc…
Freestanding sticks of truss create an easy stage look for portable churches. They are also comparatively easy to store, set up/tear down, etc..
Hmmm - well, let's see...
I'm a Christian, a husband, a dad, a son, a pastor, a consultant, a musician, a writer, and bits and pieces of a bunch of other things. My work life has followed three main phases - business to teaching to church. I was the Weekend Services Pastor for nine years at Northview Church, an awesome church in the Indianapolis suburbs. I used to work for Willow Creek, another awesome church in the Chicago area. Plus I've written for various magazines and websites, and other freelancy sorts of things... My life mission is to help the church be as excellent as it can be.
Oh yeah - the name's Greg. Greg Wallace. But not the race car driver or the major league pitcher or the British celebrity chef. Just the creative worship guy. Hi.
It's my hope that these ideas, musings, rants, raves, etc... will inspire you. They're just my opinions - but again, I hope that they'll help to inspire you. Because the church really, really needs inspired creative types. If you're a creative type (and most people are, deep-down), ask God for help. Then take any ideas that are useful to you - borrow them, nab them, use them, adapt them - and make them into something greater...
You can head over to my Instagram site for an abundance of shorter posts: creativeworshipideas. If you're looking for consulting - especially on weekend services, team leadership or multi-site strategies - I'd love to help. Just message me here, and I'll be in touch - Greg
View all posts by creativeworshipideas